I was with 26 young men this past weekend in Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin for The Emerge Conference. It was a conference that we created for the purpose of helping high school guys understand God’s unique purpose for men.
What an incredible weekend! We spent time discussing the church, it’s relevancy for today, the unique challenges that men face, and spiritual leadership. I was encouraged as these guys talked about their passion to be a part of God’s redemptive work on planet earth.
There are several humorous moments that occur on a weekend retreat where there are no women around, and guys are free to just be guys.
Here are a few of them:
1) I have never smelled a worse smelling vehicle than our bus. A pungent odor was with us the entire weekend. It was our constant companion.
2) Guys who can hold their bladders for countless hours when women are around become wusses when no women are around. Just when one guy was feeling great, another would have to use the facilities.
3) Belching is expected, and sometimes confused as a spiritual gift.
4) Guys can flat out eat. $75 worth of junk food can evaporate in a matter of minutes.
5) Guys will still spend $5 to make back .50 in the quarter game that I used to play at county fairs as a little kid.